Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Here At Last!

Everytime I look at the Ravelry page for my pattern it makes me happy, and when I see that someone has actually queued it I do a little happy dance. So far three people have queued it, which makes me immensely happy. I'm hoping to write more patterns in the future. I have a bunch of ideas I just need the time and the yarn to actually put all this stuff together.

Knitting-wise I sadly have no pictures of my current project, a pair of up-town boot socks for myself using what is probably my favorite budget sock yarn, Plymouth's Happy Feet. But I do have pictures of a lovely package I received the other day.

These are Three Irish Girls Adorn Sock in Georgia Peach and Carrick. I ordered this way back in August and was afraid for the longest time that my order was lost. Several emails later I discovered that everyone else was just ordering from Three Irish Girls at the same time and everything got backlogged. It was a long wait but I'm in love the Georgia Peach colorway, its so pretty! And well I just had to buy it since I was born in Georgia. The yarn itself is squishy and lovely and I desperately want to cuddle it whenever I see it. Also the gals at Three Irish Girls threw in a coupon for free shipping and a sweater stone so I'm pretty pleased despite the wait.

Once I'm done with my current socks and my Christmas knitting, I'm considering making the Knotty or Knice socks with the Georgia Peach. The Carrick has no particular fate yet, but I'm just pleased its finally here.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Better Baby Booties

At last here's the pattern for baby booties I made for a charity auction. These are a seaming and grafting free bootie that are very easy and quick to make. They require only fairly basic skills like decreasing, knitting in the round, and picking up stitches so knitters of almost any skill level can make them. Enjoy and happy knitting!


1 skien Blue Sky Cotton, or other worsted weight yarn

(Note: This pattern does not use an entire skien and is a good project for using up odd bits of yarn.)

Set of 5 Size 3 DPNs


4.5 sts = 1 in

Gauge is not critical as this pattern can be easily adjusted to fit a smaller or larger foot.



  • Cast on 9 sts. Knit these 9 sts in stockinette stitch for 29 rows slipping the first st of each row. Piece should measure about 4 inches (Note: If you would like a smaller or larger bootie simply change the length of the sole and adjust the number of stitches you pick up in the next step.)


  • Using a new needle pick up and knit 15 stitches along the long edge of the sole. This is now needle 2

  • Using another needle pick up and knit 9 stitches along short edge. This is now needle 3

  • Using another needle pick up and knit 15 stitches along the other long edge. This is now needle 4. There should be 48 sts total

  • Knit all sts in the round until piece measures 1" from edge where stitches were picked up.


  • Knit the 9 sts of needle 1. Purl back across the same 9 sts.

  • Row 1: k2tog using the first stitches on needle 1 and 4, k7, ssk using last stitch of needle 1 and first stitch of needle 2

  • Row 2: purl

  • Repeat rows 1 and 2 until only 32 sts remain


  • Resume knitting remaining sts in the round in 1X1 rib until ribbing measures 2 inches.

  • Loosely bind off and weave in ends.

Thursday, November 5, 2009


The month of October was taken up with making baby things, and I have to admit baby items are pretty freakin cute. They're so little. First I made a hat and booties for my cousin and his wife who are expecting their first at the end of the month. I still need to put the package in the mail, but this should be one cozy little baby.

Yarn: Mission Falls Superwash Merino- 1 skein was just barely enough for both items. I had to shorten the cuff of the booties in order to finish them. But I think they came out cute, and they're so tiny which makes them even more adorable.
Bootie Pattern: One Strand Booties

Then there are these little cuties...

I made these for a fundraising auction hosted by the law school's public interest group. They do this every year to raise money for summer grants to students doing public interest work. The knitting group decided to put together a baby set to donate for the auction, and I volunteered to make booties.

I had not been entirely pleased with my first pair of booties since they required grafting on the bottom. I set out to find a new pattern that didn't required any seaming or grafting, and could not find exactly what I wanted by searching around on Ravelry. After some contemplation I came up with these. A bootie that is completely free of seaming and grafting and requires only that you weave in two ends to finish. The skills needed for this are all pretty basic too, picking up stitches, decreasing, and knitting in the round. Overall I am quite pleased with my design and feel rather clever. Once I take some better pictures I plan to put together a nice pretty pattern to release it.