Sunday, April 4, 2010

My first handspun!


I made yarn!  I finished spinning my 4 oz of shetland wool last weekend.  At first I wasn't going to ply it and then went back on forth on whether to ply or not.  After a few days of contemplation I decided to ply since the thickness of my singles varied so much and I hoped that plying would help even it out a bit.  I  think it worked overall, a few spots came out very thick, but mostly the finished yarn ranges from a worsted to bulky weight.  Also plying was much easier than spinning.  I was able to do all the plying in a single evening. I am immensely proud of my yarn and can't wait to get my hands on some more wool to spin, but first I need to continue working on this project (also I'm trying to be patient and wait for the CT sheep and wool festival at the end of the month).  The next step is to knit this up into a hat.

No comments: